Skip to main content

Ohm's law | V-I CHARECTERSTICS | I-V CHARECTERSTICS

Ohm's law illustration by Electrical Zindagi

Ohm's law | V-I CHARECTERSTICS | I-V CHARECTERSTICS

What is Ohm's law?

01

Ohm's law is the fundamental rule connecting voltage (V), current (I) and resistance (R) in electrical circuits. In its simplest form: V = I × R. This means the voltage across a conductor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it when temperature and other physical conditions are constant.

V–I characteristics explained

02

V–I characteristic is a curve (or line) that shows how voltage varies with current for a particular device. For an ideal resistor that obeys Ohm's law, the V–I curve is a straight line through the origin. The slope of that line corresponds to the resistance. Devices that aren't linear (like diodes or incandescent bulbs) produce curved V–I plots.

I–V characteristics (alternate view)

03

When you swap the axes you read the same physical information differently: I plotted vs V gives you insight into how much current a device draws for a given applied voltage. For linear devices I–V is still a straight line; for nonlinear devices it highlights thresholds and saturation regions useful in electronics design and troubleshooting.

Practical short tricks & familiar examples

A

Trick 1 — The 10× check: If you increase voltage by 10× across a fixed resistor, current increases roughly 10×. This quick mental test helps you check if a circuit is roughly linear before more careful measurement.

B

Example — Light bulb: A cold filament's resistance is lower, so at switch-on the bulb draws a surge current. As the filament heats, its resistance rises and current falls until it reaches steady light output — that's a nonlinear V–I behaviour you see every day.

C

Measure safely: Always place your meter in series for current measurements and in parallel for voltage. Never place an ammeter directly across a voltage source — it is essentially a low-resistance path and can short the source.

Understanding V–I and I–V charts is essential for designing circuits, choosing resistors, and reading datasheets. Use the straight-line behaviour of resistors to simplify calculations; for complex or temperature-dependent parts, rely on datasheet curves and practical testing.

⬇️ 3D DOWNLOAD - Ohm's law by Electrical Zindagi (PDF)

May You Like These Posts

TitleLink
Basic MCQs — ElectricalOpen post
New Model MCQsOpen post
Basic ECE MCQsOpen post
Practical Circuit TricksOpen post
Ohm's Law ExamplesOpen post

Join us for regular updates

Support the community

If this content helped you, consider supporting Electrical Zindagi. Your contribution keeps the notes and videos free for everyone.

Ads help keep this site running. If you find ads intrusive, consider supporting us via the Donate button above.

SEO Keywords

Ohm's law, V-I characteristics, I-V characteristics, electrical basics, resistor V I curve, Ohm's law examples, Electrical Zindagi notes, basic electronics MCQ, circuit troubleshooting, download ohm's law pdf

Popular Posts You May Like

KVL & KCL — 23 Question Quiz (20 min)

KVL & KCL — 23 Question Quiz (20 min) attention smart phone users ! For best experience set it at desktop mode If you are on a smartphone, rotate device to landscape or use your browser's "Desktop site" option for optimal layout and question visibility. KVL & KCL — 23 Question Quiz Level: Moderate to Low • Time: 20 minutes • Questions: 23 20:00 Start Quiz Progress: 0 /23 answered Performance Report Total Questions Attempted Unattempted Correct Incorrect Score Important one liner (type here topic name) ...

BASIC ELECTRONICS HAND NOTES — Download Handwritten PDF

BASIC ELECTRONICS HAND NOTES — Download Handwritten PDF BASIC ELECTRONICS HAND NOTES Free handwritten PDF — short tricks, clear examples, exam-friendly. Written in Hinglish for easy reading. Download Handwritten PDF Read Online Yeh handwritten notes specially un logon ke liye banaye gaye hain jo Basic Electronics ko jaldi aur smart tarike se revise karna chahte hain. Agar aap beginner ho ya semester ke last minute revision kar rahe ho — yeh notes aapko concept fast samajhne aur yaad rakhne mein madad karenge. Is article mein main easy tricks, practical examples aur short mnemonics doonga — sab Hinglish mein — taki padhai boring na lage. Saath hi PDF ka direct link upar diya gaya hai jise aap ek click mein download kar sakte ho. 1. Basics — kya-kya cover hai? Notes mein yeh basic topics cover hain: Ohm's Law, Series & Parallel Circuits, Kirchhoff...

Bteup : Diploma : Electrical Engineering EE Syllabus Download

Bteup : Diploma : Electrical Engineering EE Syllabus Download Table of Contents 1. Overview 2. Semester-wise subjects 3. Core topics & tips 4. Resources & books 5. Practical projects & exam tips 6. Important link 7. You may like these posts 8. Join us / Social 9. Donate & Support SEO Keywords: BTEUP, Electrical Engineering, Diploma Syllabus, EE Syllabus, BTEUP Syllabus, Electrical Diploma, BTEUP EE, Electrical Engineering Diploma, Syllabus Download, Electrical Engineering Course, BTEUP EE Syllabus, Electrical Engineering Syllabus, Diploma EE Syllabus, BTEUP Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Diploma Syllabus Overview BTEUP (Board of Technical Education, Uttar Pradesh) electrical diploma curriculum is designed to build a strong practical and theoretical foundation for students who want to work in power systems, controls, electronics and industr...

AKTU : Btech EE : 3rd year Syllabus Download

AKTU : BTech EE : 3rd year Syllabus Download AKTU : BTech EE : 3rd year Syllabus Download Updated: October 12, 2025 • File: PDF • Easy download links below Table of Contents Overview Download Syllabus (PDF) Semesters & Subjects Study Tips & Tricks Important Links Join & Follow Donate & Community SEO Keywords: AKTU BTech EE 3rd year syllabus AKTU EE syllabus AKTU BTech electrical engineering syllabus BTech EE syllabus PDF AKTU 3rd year electrical syllabus AKTU syllabus download BTech EE AKTU 5th sem syllabus EE syllabus AKTU 2024-25 AKTU EE curriculum AKTU electrical engineering 3rd year AKTU syllabus EE download Overview The AKTU (Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam...

AKTU: Btech EE: 2nd Year Syllabus Download

AKTU: Btech EE: 2nd Year Syllabus Download Table of Contents Cracking the Code: Your AKTU EE 2nd Year Journey Semester 3: The Foundation Builders Semester 4: Electrifying Concepts in Action Beyond the Books: Strategies for Success Why AKTU's EE Syllabus Matters Key Resources & Where to Find Them Your Electrifying Future Starts Now! SEO Keywords AKTU BTech EE syllabus, AKTU 2nd year EE syllabus, AKTU BTech syllabus download, AKTU EE 2nd year PDF, BTech Electrical Engineering syllabus AKTU, AKTU EE syllabus 2025, AKTU EE second year subjects, AKTU EE semester wise syllabus, AKTU BTech EE notes, AKTU EE syllabus pdf free, AKTU engineering syllabus, AKTU EE curriculum, AKTU BTech 2nd year syllabus, AKTU syllabus for EE branch, AKTU EE course outline Cracking the Code: Your AKTU EE 2nd Year Journey Welcome, future Electrical Engineer...